Central A/C cost just came down for Philadelphians
. . . and participants could help bring down costs for everybody
With its new Smart A/C Saver program, PECO offers residential and business electric customers in its territory a $30/month account credit (up to the total energy bill for that month, during cooling months June-September) for allowing them to remotely cycle central A/C off during high-demand ‘conservation events’ that otherwise cost PECO a ton of money. The program is available to anyone who receives a PECO bill — including smart folks who have already switched to cleaner and cheaper alternative energy generation/transmission providers for energy generation services.
However: at least one customer (see comments at the end of this Lunch Break Blog post) claims they experienced prolonged, contract-breaching turn-off by PECO’s switching unit (DCU). Since the site appears to be composed of extreme libertarian perspectives, these complaints may have as much to do with politics as true experience.
AC polarity isn’t right, just because ‘it works’
Polarity in AC circuits doesn’t matter; until it does.
A common mistake of amateurs (and some experienced but untrained installers) is to assume that because house AC wiring is ‘alternating current’ moving alternately in two directions, the polarity of the circuit conductors has no significance. Most loads will in fact operate when wired backward (or connected to reversed-polarity receptacles), and the ‘it works’ test often is as far as some installers go in their understanding of proper installation.
Customer Resource Blog Categories
Off-site Links ->
- Annapolis Home Inspection, LLC Aluminum branch circuits, homes 1965-1972
- ComplianceAndSafety.com OSHA Electrical Safety Training
- Electric Monk TV (YouTube) Video channel for PhillyLicensedElectrician.com Robert Monk
- EnergyConservation HowTo A tinkerer genius discusses energy conservation and his ladder system for accessing the attic (where a lot of energy-saving work happens).
- PennFuture Energy Center Energy and energy efficiency news for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Phila area rife with building efficiency upgrade opportunities Philadelphia Inquirer article discusses recent study showing Philadelphia’s inner-ring suburbs stand to save from energy conservation retrofits.
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Robert Monk Robert Monk’s personal blog
- SolarCities (DOE) Solar PV Levelized Cost Interactive Comparator Simple graph compares ‘levelized cost’ of energy from solar PV to conventional grid rates, with a time-slider interactive feature.
- The Circuit Detective – Solve Home Electrical Problems Yourself! Electrical troubleshooting procedures pitched to homeowners.
- The Energy Co-op Blog from a leading alternative energy provider in PECO territory, includes fun conservation tips.
- Weatherization: the anti-Solyndra Salon.com article praising the continued success of the federal Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), low-income energy-savings and job-creation.
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WestPhillyLocal .com Site name say sit all.
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists