For this installation of baseboard receptacles throughout the 2nd floor of a 4-bedroom home on Kingsessing Ave. in West Philadelphia, I ran 1/2″ EMT out of basement foundation walls, up the 2-story twin’s exterior and then branching via UF cable to individual baseboard locations to serve window air conditioning (window AC) units, or other high-priority grounding / high priority power quality loads, such as computers or entertainment systems to be protected by multi-outlet surge suppressors.
EMT tubular conduit (raceway) provides physical protection where the wiring method is exposed just above grade coming out of the basement. Type UF cable provides sunlight and weather resistance run exposed outside the 2nd floor. Although this wiring method minimizes intrusion (and possible plaster damage that can involve dust and dusty repairs), running exterior wiring also involves work on ladders, and can often cost more, even though it appears simpler.
Note the number of tools, some specialized, used in the installation. This task is not the trickiest electrical installation, but you might want to think twice about DIY, here, when an electrician using good tools can do it in 1/2 your time, cleaner, and probably for not much more money, once you count tool acquisition and runs to the hardware store for something you didn’t remember or know you needed.
- Wiring Simplified is an outstanding book for both veteran electrical installers and new homeowners looking to save a bit by tackling easier projects, including the installation of receptacles in existing and new locations in all manner of finish surface materials. I got my copy at Home Depot ten years ago and I’m still using techniques learned from it.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Find Electrical Answers
- July 11, ’15: Rainbow Bridge to Philadelphia’s Energy Future
- Phila Contractors: Double license fee to modernize L+I?
- PPL requests 40% rate hike on central-PA electric customers
- New maestro/pico kit ops LED lamps, needs no neutral at switch
- Rinaldi set to receive Toxic Heart award 5:30pm at Franklin Institute
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- Block Parties (application) City of Philadelphia .pdf application for block parties ($25 for holidays; $150 for private parties).
- Bright Philly Future Clean, sustainable energy policy and action for Philadelphia
- Cheap Date Philadelphia: top 5 kissing benches Little known spots to steal a smooch
- Council calls for renewable energy hub Clean Air Council lays out the case for Philadelphia’s long term best benefit from choosing conservation and efficiency investments over gas pipelines.
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Map of Philly area EV charging stations (EVSE) Clean Air Council’s downloadable map of Philadelphia area EVSE
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Philly Summer Outdoor Movies
- Quiet landscaping service / Green solar lawn care Home page for franchisor headquarters and estimating forms for services by franchizees nationwide
- Rainbow Bridge to Phila's Energy Future Come shout out for a 100% #Renewable2020PHL, end to #oiltrains #bombtrains
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- Weatherization and energy in Phila Row Homes Phila.gov OHCD weatherization guide breaks down row home energy use
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists