For this installation of baseboard receptacles throughout the 2nd floor of a 4-bedroom home on Kingsessing Ave. in West Philadelphia, I ran 1/2″ EMT out of basement foundation walls, up the 2-story twin’s exterior and then branching via UF cable to individual baseboard locations to serve window air conditioning (window AC) units, or other high-priority grounding / high priority power quality loads, such as computers or entertainment systems to be protected by multi-outlet surge suppressors.
EMT tubular conduit (raceway) provides physical protection where the wiring method is exposed just above grade coming out of the basement. Type UF cable provides sunlight and weather resistance run exposed outside the 2nd floor. Although this wiring method minimizes intrusion (and possible plaster damage that can involve dust and dusty repairs), running exterior wiring also involves work on ladders, and can often cost more, even though it appears simpler.
Note the number of tools, some specialized, used in the installation. This task is not the trickiest electrical installation, but you might want to think twice about DIY, here, when an electrician using good tools can do it in 1/2 your time, cleaner, and probably for not much more money, once you count tool acquisition and runs to the hardware store for something you didn’t remember or know you needed.
- Wiring Simplified is an outstanding book for both veteran electrical installers and new homeowners looking to save a bit by tackling easier projects, including the installation of receptacles in existing and new locations in all manner of finish surface materials. I got my copy at Home Depot ten years ago and I’m still using techniques learned from it.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Electrical (off site) ->
- EEschools.org's Top 101 Electrical Resources Sites Banner headings, summary description and links to good electrical resource websites.
- Electric Monk TV (YouTube) Video channel for PhillyLicensedElectrician.com Robert Monk
- EnergyConservation HowTo A tinkerer genius discusses energy conservation and his ladder system for accessing the attic (where a lot of energy-saving work happens).
- Guide to Lamps by Candela Corp. Helpful diagrams of base types, bulb shapes, beam angles, color temperature, many other characteristics.
- Has defective drywall damaged your electrical HVAC, plumbing or other systems? A-1 Certified Home Inspections: Defective Drywall Inspections
- Inspectapedia: Evaluation & Repair of Knob-and-Tube Wiring Thorough, illustrated discussion of proper and improper knob-and-tube wiring, its main characteristics and liabilities.
- PennFuture Energy Center Energy and energy efficiency news for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Robert Monk Robert Monk’s personal blog
- The Circuit Detective – Solve Home Electrical Problems Yourself! Electrical troubleshooting procedures pitched to homeowners.
- The Energy Co-op Blog from a leading alternative energy provider in PECO territory, includes fun conservation tips.
- WestPhillyLocal .com Site name say sit all.
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- Cheap Date Philadelphia: top 5 kissing benches Little known spots to steal a smooch
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Map of Philly area EV charging stations (EVSE) Clean Air Council’s downloadable map of Philadelphia area EVSE
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Philly Summer Outdoor Movies
- Quiet landscaping service / Green solar lawn care Home page for franchisor headquarters and estimating forms for services by franchizees nationwide
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists