Stop wrangling with shop-vac hoses, portable sump pump and extension cords!
Besides being unpleasant, basement flooding is a potential electric shock (ouch!) or electrocution (death) hazard, especially in older homes where basement receptacles (outlets) tend not to be protected against ground fault. Flooding can also lead to or aggravate mold problems, damage appliances and household items stored in the basement.
A permanent, in-ground, automatic sump pump installation may eliminate the need to even visit the basement during and after heavy rains, keeping water levels from ever rising above the pump’s float-switch set point – below the basement floor. Installed at the bottom of a recessed cistern, the sump pump remains permanently submerged, operated by its float switch when water level lifts the float. The pump is permanently connected to your plumbing waste lines so there are no hoses to manage (or lose control of!). Most importantly, the installation includes a dedicated, GFCI-protected receptacle, so no one has to manage cord-and-plug connections at dubious old basement receptacles in a last-minute scramble and while standing on damp floors and surrounded by hazardous ground-paths attracting electric current.
Note that a single-location sump pump cannot prevent minor pooling throughout all basements, and will not prevent dampness from saturated ground around the basement and water infiltration far from the pump location. If your goal is a dry basement, a dehumidifier and/or a comprehensive ’dry basement’ design and installation (starting at over $5,000 from most contractors). Dry basement contractors should guarantee dwelling-space quality dryness, and the work entails excavation of the entire basement perimeter, with installation of a dehumidifier necessary in many instances.
Basic installation of the pump in a cistern, electric to a new receptacle serving the pump, and outflow plumbing direct-connected to your waste line, runs from $500. Optional adders include:
- Moisture alarm ~$35
- Battery backup (for 1/2-hour operation) with power failure alarm ~$650 including first year battery servicing.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Powelton Village kitchen renovation w custom cabinets, LED under cabinet lighting
- Breaking 3/14/14: Society Hill experiencing partial brown-out
- Construction estimates, quotes, work orders & statements
- Protected: Robert Monk, West Philly Tool Library partner to offer emergency backup power
- Backup generator provides security, independence for West Philly twin
Electrical (off site) ->
- EEschools.org's Top 101 Electrical Resources Sites Banner headings, summary description and links to good electrical resource websites.
- Electric Monk TV (YouTube) Video channel for PhillyLicensedElectrician.com Robert Monk
- EnergyConservation HowTo A tinkerer genius discusses energy conservation and his ladder system for accessing the attic (where a lot of energy-saving work happens).
- Inspectapedia: Evaluation & Repair of Knob-and-Tube Wiring Thorough, illustrated discussion of proper and improper knob-and-tube wiring, its main characteristics and liabilities.
- PennFuture Energy Center Energy and energy efficiency news for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Robert Monk Robert Monk’s personal blog
- The Circuit Detective – Solve Home Electrical Problems Yourself! Electrical troubleshooting procedures pitched to homeowners.
- The Energy Co-op Blog from a leading alternative energy provider in PECO territory, includes fun conservation tips.
- WestPhillyLocal .com Site name say sit all.
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- Cheap Date Philadelphia: top 5 kissing benches Little known spots to steal a smooch
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Map of Philly area EV charging stations (EVSE) Clean Air Council’s downloadable map of Philadelphia area EVSE
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists