The Problem with Mega-banks [get coupon]
Disappearance of Main Street Banks and Neighborly Accountability
The 99% are the ones who have not positioned themselves to benefit at the expense of others through the banking and financial systems. We need to put our money in banks that serve us well, and do so without putting the entire U.S. and global financial system at risk. Doing so may make our own real deposits safer, and it may defuse the time-bomb of ‘too big to fail’ bailout logistics and ‘too big to refu$e’ lobbying that is often as not against the public interest.
According to a recent article in the New York Times Magazine, just three banks handle 44% of all US banking, while the 20 largest banks handle 92% of banking in the U.S. Not only does this concentration of financial power distort our politics, it endangers our actual, deposited dollars, and the entire financial system in which those dollars circulate. The big 3 banks, and possibly the big 20, may truly be ‘too big to fail’, but July’s downgrading of US credit ratings means we — tax-paying citizens and businesses — can’t afford to bail them out again; assuming we even could the first time. Further, Congress is so frozen by partisan politicking that it’s done little to implement new regulations that could prevent new rounds of fraudulent investment/default insurance by the same big banks that failed us last time around. The big 20 fought state regulators trying to put a plug in predatory sub-prime lending for years prior to the 2009 crash, and continue to shape regulation that favors them over smaller banks. Some bet against the very investments they were recommending to their own clients. Is this where you want to get financial advice, or keep your money?
Toward solutions for hard-earned savings
Get a $25 credit for electric work, or support local food options with
Mariposa Food Co-op when you use a new account referral coupon, below
Also, consider joining Mariposa Coop or referring new members there. Mariposa is offering $10 referral credit and $10 sign-up bonuses now, as part of its membership drive leading up to opening the new store in early February.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Electrical (off site) ->
- EEschools.org's Top 101 Electrical Resources Sites Banner headings, summary description and links to good electrical resource websites.
- Electric Monk TV (YouTube) Video channel for PhillyLicensedElectrician.com Robert Monk
- EnergyConservation HowTo A tinkerer genius discusses energy conservation and his ladder system for accessing the attic (where a lot of energy-saving work happens).
- Has defective drywall damaged your electrical HVAC, plumbing or other systems? A-1 Certified Home Inspections: Defective Drywall Inspections
- Inspectapedia: Evaluation & Repair of Knob-and-Tube Wiring Thorough, illustrated discussion of proper and improper knob-and-tube wiring, its main characteristics and liabilities.
- PennFuture Energy Center Energy and energy efficiency news for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Robert Monk Robert Monk’s personal blog
- The Circuit Detective – Solve Home Electrical Problems Yourself! Electrical troubleshooting procedures pitched to homeowners.
- The Energy Co-op Blog from a leading alternative energy provider in PECO territory, includes fun conservation tips.
- WestPhillyLocal .com Site name say sit all.
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- Cheap Date Philadelphia: top 5 kissing benches Little known spots to steal a smooch
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Map of Philly area EV charging stations (EVSE) Clean Air Council’s downloadable map of Philadelphia area EVSE
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists