LOVE Philly: Beyond Electrical
Links to life-enhancing stuff that amounts to why my business and home is in Philly.
Fairmount Park is both a single, largest-in-the-nation city park and the name of the City of Philadelphia’s public parks system, the Fairmount Parks Commission (recently pulled into City government, rather than being semi-autonomous).
West River / MLK Drive
Philly Fun Guide’s place page for West River / Martin Luther King Drive features directions, basic description and events calendar for this beautiful avenue on the west bank of the Schulkill River. Park and picnic areas flank the avenue, which closes to auto traffic on weekends spring, summer and fall. The avenue also connects to Fairmount Park.
Forbidden Drive / Wissahickon Trail
My acupuncturist recently described a stroll here, on an unseasonably warm January day, as ‘like being on drugs’. The euphoria comes of this lush valley with gorgeous New Deal era (?) roman arched bridges overhead and quiet, greenery and pleasantly contrasting patches of deep shade and brilliant sun breaking through all around.
There is diversity of access points and a well-graded, family-friendly main trail criss-crossed by rugged single-track trails beloved of mountain-bikers (but not so busy as to be nerve-wracking for walkers).
A world-class art museum perched atop an acropolis overlooking the grand Ben Franklin Parkway, I especially like Philadelphia Museum of Art’s ‘Art After 5‘ year-round series of performing arts events staged in the grand stair hall.
NEIGHBORHOOD FOOD (19143)
Four Worlds Bakery, 4634 Woodland Ave.
Get the almond/cheese croissant. And check out West Philly Tool Library down the street.
Off-site Links ->
- Annapolis Home Inspection, LLC Aluminum branch circuits, homes 1965-1972
- ComplianceAndSafety.com OSHA Electrical Safety Training
- Electric Monk TV (YouTube) Video channel for PhillyLicensedElectrician.com Robert Monk
- EnergyConservation HowTo A tinkerer genius discusses energy conservation and his ladder system for accessing the attic (where a lot of energy-saving work happens).
- PennFuture Energy Center Energy and energy efficiency news for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Phila area rife with building efficiency upgrade opportunities Philadelphia Inquirer article discusses recent study showing Philadelphia’s inner-ring suburbs stand to save from energy conservation retrofits.
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Robert Monk Robert Monk’s personal blog
- SolarCities (DOE) Solar PV Levelized Cost Interactive Comparator Simple graph compares ‘levelized cost’ of energy from solar PV to conventional grid rates, with a time-slider interactive feature.
- The Circuit Detective – Solve Home Electrical Problems Yourself! Electrical troubleshooting procedures pitched to homeowners.
- The Energy Co-op Blog from a leading alternative energy provider in PECO territory, includes fun conservation tips.
- Weatherization: the anti-Solyndra Salon.com article praising the continued success of the federal Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), low-income energy-savings and job-creation.
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WestPhillyLocal .com Site name say sit all.
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists