- Phillylicensedcontractor.com for a full complement of locally licensed contractors in all trades, as well as design/build companies and others providing green technologies, ecologically superior materials and a variety of other resources to help customers approach sustainable living in child-safe homes free from toxins and pollutants.
Building Trades Associates
- Bedrock PA Development Corp., general contractor specializing in residential renovations and remodeling, with excellent value and a good track record for exterior finish carpentry, brick pointing and detailed paint work.
- Hanson General Contracting, Inc. is a full-services contractor with excellent specialist resources for projects involving fine craft details.
Smart Energy Links & Resources
- Robert Monk’s Smart Energy Blog
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Consumer Guide to Energy Management
- PA Department of Environmental Protection, Sunshine Program: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/grants_loans_tax_credits/10395/pa_sunshine_solar_program/821790
- RESNET home energy efficiency raters, weatherization and other smart energy management contractors
- DSIRE resources for energy conservation and sustainable development: http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=PA37F&re=1&ee=1
- Solar financials calculator from Solar-estimate.org. This is a remarkably-detailed, customizable report factoring federal and state investment tax incentives, income tax rates, state rebates, local insolation (annualized average energy from sunlight), and your energy consumption patterns.
- PECO Energy Smart A/C Rebates for Demand-Response Program participants
- Bone Energy, Philadelphia-based energy conservation and management consultancy.
- PHDC Pricing Guidelines
Loans for Energy Improvements
- EnergyWorks is a PA government-seeded loan fund supporting energy improvements that are solid enough that financing them will be very low-risk.
- Consumer Guide to Financing Energy Projects from National Renewable Energy Laboratories (NREL).
Other Eco/Green Resources
- Sustainable Business Network of Philadelphia (SBN) Members Directory.
- GreenJobsPhilly.org listing of green services providers
- Lighting Design & Electrical Engineering Services by Silverman & Light
- West Philly Tool Library is a low-cost annual membership library that lends unlimited tools free. Compare their free one-week rental periods with other tool and equipment rental places’ minimum single DAY rental fees, even for their least tool.
- Modernize from clunky mechanical timer to auto adjusting digital multi-day lighting timer
- Electronic ballast fluorescent fixtures trip GFCI due to RFI suppression circuit?
- Event: Switch to renewable energy @ Calvary 2013-10-26 6-8pm
- Space weather: another reason to go solar, distribute the grid widely
- Should I buy a home powered from a Federal Pacific stab-lok breaker panel?
Off-site Links ->
- Annapolis Home Inspection, LLC Aluminum branch circuits, homes 1965-1972
- ComplianceAndSafety.com OSHA Electrical Safety Training
- EEschools.org's Top 101 Electrical Resources Sites Banner headings, summary description and links to good electrical resource websites.
- Electric Monk TV (YouTube) Video channel for PhillyLicensedElectrician.com Robert Monk
- EnergyConservation HowTo A tinkerer genius discusses energy conservation and his ladder system for accessing the attic (where a lot of energy-saving work happens).
- Inspectapedia: Evaluation & Repair of Knob-and-Tube Wiring Thorough, illustrated discussion of proper and improper knob-and-tube wiring, its main characteristics and liabilities.
- PennFuture Energy Center Energy and energy efficiency news for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Phila area rife with building efficiency upgrade opportunities Philadelphia Inquirer article discusses recent study showing Philadelphia’s inner-ring suburbs stand to save from energy conservation retrofits.
- Philadelphia Row-house Manual A design, maintenance, and modifications manual for our most widely-used form of housing.
- Robert Monk Robert Monk’s personal blog
- SolarCities (DOE) Solar PV Levelized Cost Interactive Comparator Simple graph compares ‘levelized cost’ of energy from solar PV to conventional grid rates, with a time-slider interactive feature.
- The Circuit Detective – Solve Home Electrical Problems Yourself! Electrical troubleshooting procedures pitched to homeowners.
- The Energy Co-op Blog from a leading alternative energy provider in PECO territory, includes fun conservation tips.
- Weatherization: the anti-Solyndra Salon.com article praising the continued success of the federal Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), low-income energy-savings and job-creation.
- West Philly Tool Library Official site of WPTL, Philly’s own community tool lending library: like a book library, but tools!
- WestPhillyLocal .com Site name say sit all.
200A service upgrade automatic standby generator backup generator ceiling fan ceiling fan/light CFL compact fluorescent conserve energy customer recommendations customer references demand-response dimmable LED dimmer electrical safety energy choice energy conservation events Generac generator green energy home renovation kitchen remodel kitchen renovation knob-and-tube wiring knob and tube LED LED lamp lighting controls lighting efficiency low-voltage lighting mCHP multi-wire branch circuit PECO PennFuture recessed lighting recessed lights service upgrade smart-grid solar PV space heater SSL timer switch Troubleshooting West Philly whole-house rewire
- Bartram's Gardens Founded in Philadelphia’s colonial era, today the gardens continue pioneering in horticulture and agriculture with a variety of herbs, trees and other vegetation in an arboretum/gardens on the Schulkill River banks, and a new farm abutting sadly neglected
- HiddenCity Philadelphia Surprising places it takes an adventurer to discover; events, too.
- Philly Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Schedule City of Philadelphia dates and places for disposing of spent batteries, CFL lamps, unused paint and cleaning products, etc. LovePhilly: don’t pour these in the drain or send them out with the trash.
- Reading Terminal Market Purveyors of fine foods and foodie stuff, all under one roof downtown under the PA Convention Center
- Secret Garden on the Rails Jacques-Jean Tiziou shows some dramatic natural and urban and naturalized-urban scenes along abandoned rails of Philadelphia
- Sketch Burger, Fishtown A vegan-friendly burger joint with a #1 in Philly contender beef burger, best fries that somehow stay fresh for 1/2 hour while you tackle burger, and a vegan cafe vibe of friendly folks.
- WXPN: Philly sings in key of love Love songs by Philly artists